giovedì 30 aprile 2009

Google Docs

This week we learned how to use Google Docs, another magic tool available on the Internet. The purpose of Google Docs is sharing documents: whatever you are writing, you can put it there and share it with other people.

The fact that you can have your pieces of writing on the Net and share them with other users seems to be very useful for more than one reason.
First of all, now we have a place where we can put our written documents being almost 100% sure we're not going to lose them (I know several people who were stolen their pc with their thesis in..the only copy they had! It's better not to risk..)
The other fundamental function of this tool, as I already pointed out, is the sharing function: your documents are there, and they can be edited by other people. This can be great when you work in groups: you don't need to have thousands of versions of your work and look for the right one everytime! What's more, I think Google Docs could also be helpful for us when we'll be writing our final thesis: besides having it there safe and sound, we could share it with our supervisor and get our corrections there, saving time and paper!

In class we had to look at a document that we shared and edit the references in the bibliography following APA style. Sometimes it was quite hard to find what we where looking for, and we had to be very precise and punctilious (very difficult thing for me), but Google Docs made the whole thing easier and faster.

I like the idea that we can take advantage of other people's knowledge, and, of course, be helpful for other people by sharing our knowledge with them.

2 commenti:

  1. Hi Valentina! Are you ready for tomorrow? I've read your post and I think you wrote very interesting things! I particularly like the idea of Google Docs enabling students to share their dissertation with their supervisor. Wouldn't it be great? We would all save a lot of time and avoid spending hours queuing outside our supervisor's office (as it often happened when i was writing my BA dissertation!)
    Now it's feedback time! I just would like to give you some suggestions rather than grammar corrections.
    - Right at the beginning, I would say: the purpose of Google Docs is TO SHARE (instead of SHARING);
    - in the second paragraph, where you say '...we are not going to lose them', I'd rather use the future with WILL because GOING TO usually means future intention (and I bet nobody has the intention to lose their thesis!). Anyway, I'm not totally sure about this point;
    - with ALREADY I think you need to use the perfect tense ('as I have already pointed out');
    - what about 'this could be great when working in groups', instead of 'this can be great when you work...';
    - you wrote 'we WHERE looking for' instead of 'WERE', but I'm sure it was due to distraction so don't worry!;
    - at the end of your post, I think you should say 'helpful TO other people'(instead of FOR).

    Sorry for my feedback!! You did a good job anyway! ;)

    Take care

    Serena

    RispondiElimina
  2. Hi Valentina...
    Hope you're doing well!

    Uffa, Serena arrived before me ;)

    Well, I agree with Serena on the fact the you had a wonderful idea about using GoogleDocs for our dissertations: we'll save time and forests! :)

    I like your writing style: very natural and fluent. I never get bored and your point of view is always thought-provoking.

    As far as my feedback is concerned, I think that it's difficult to find something that Serena hasn't already said but I'll try...ahahah...I'm jocking ;)

    - in the 2nd paragraph, I would say 'I know about several people...' instead of 'I know several people...'. I think you wanted to say that you 'have heard about...'.

    As you can see, I didn't find anything but a problem with preposition.

    See you in class!
    Giorgia

    RispondiElimina