venerdì 8 maggio 2009

The risks of the Internet

This subject is very interesting and very complex at the same time. The Internet has completely revolutioned our lives, it influences us in lots of ways and has become part of what we are, of our culture. Let's say it clearly: not only as a student, but also as a person, I am aware of the fact that I can't live without it anymore.

In this perspective, it is fundamental to be conscious of the risks that the Internet can bring. Some examples: privacy violation, plagiarism, fake information, unwanted violent contents, immense amount of information. What can we do to avoid these problems? I think the only solution is awareness: we can't change how the Internet works, but we can change our approach towards it. You can avoid risks only if you know them.

Reflecting on the risks of the Internet, I think something else must be mentioned. It's something that goes far beyond the field of information and the language learning issue. Well, I think one of the greater risks of the Internet is its consequences on our social relationships: all these tools that permit to communicate with everyone just make relationships superficial. It's just too easy!! I mean, do you really communicate when you use Facebook??

I don't know, maybe I'm just old-fashioned..but I am afraid that in the long run we are going to lose the capability to really relate to people, communicate to them, TALK to them!!! And how about the linguistic aspect??? I could go on and on discussing these issues, but this post is not the right place..so..What do you think?

To conclude, I didn't mean to say I am against the Internet, not at all. I am totally aware of the great possibilities it gives us, and I take advantage of them every day. But like everything, it has to be used in a proper, responsible and not superficial way. Just be careful!!

2 commenti:

  1. Hi Valentina!

    I agree with everything you wrote in your post. As you said, the Internet is essential nowadays, and it is almost impossible to live without it, whether we like it or not. I use the Internet a lot because it's an excellent source of information and a very good learning tool! However, the Web carries many risks too. The birth of fake relatioships is a major problem especially for young people, who often use the Internet in the wrong way. It's true that a lot of people use the Web to communicate, but it's difficult to say whether this is real communication or not. As you wrote, the only solution is to learn to use the Internet critically, being aware of the risks it involves and trying to avoid them as much as possible.
    From a linguistic point of view your post is ok. I just want to point out a few things:
    - in the second paragraph where you speak about the risks of the Internet, I'd use the verb CARRY instead of BRING;
    - in the following sentence you give some examples of the risks involved with the use of the Internet. Before the list I'd write "some examples ARE" because if you don't put the verb it seems that something is missing (at least that's what I think). Moreover, I wouldn't use the adjective IMMENSE because it can also have a positive connotation (which is not what you want here). So, you could say something like TOO MUCH information, or you could keep the adjective 'immense' and add something else afterwards to give a negative meaning to what you're saying;
    - you wrote "we can't change how the Internet works". I'd substitute HOW with THE WAY IN WHICH;
    - one of the GREATEST risks of the Internet (instead of 'one of the GREATER', which is the comparative form);
    - after the expression 'in the long run' I'd use WILL instead of the future with BE GOING TO because the latter suggests future intention;
    - you COMMUNICATE TO SB THAT or COMMUNICATE STH TO SB; but you COMMUNICATE WITH SB.

    Well, you did a good job!! See u ;)

    Serena

    RispondiElimina
  2. Ohhh...Serena first...again!!! :D
    I'm obviously jocking.

    Hi Valentina!
    Hope everything goes well.

    I agree with your reflections on the Internet traps, especially when you talk about Facebook.
    I'm totally conscious of the numerous benefits of the Internet but - at the same time - I'm scared by the 'sucking' power of certain Internet tools, such as Facebook or any other social network.

    During the first semester I worked in the wiki project concerning blogs and social networks, and I learned a lot of things about them. I read about guys that - literally - LIVE in Facebook. They said: "I have 600 friends", and I thought: "What??? 600 friends and you're always sitting alone in your bedroom in front of your pc!!!".
    This kind of situations frighten me a lot!

    Obviously there are some positive aspects, such as keeping in contact with friends abroad and known outside the Net, or giving/receiving fast and real-time information from your family/friends who live stably abroad.

    A friend of mine told me a few days ago: "Through Facebook I found an old friend from the summer camp". I said that it was a nice thing, and I took for granted that this friend lived abroad or far from him. Nope! They live in the same little town and also attended the same high school. So, I thought: "If you live near and attended schools and camps together there should be a reason why you've not become friends so far?!? No?!?". Maybe I'm wrong but I don't like this kind of superficial, fast friendship.

    However, I'm an enthusiast of the Internet, except for social networks. For keeping in touch with my friends I prefer e-mails, phone calls and eyes contacts! ;)

    And now some feedback:

    - in the first paragraph I'd put a semi-colon between "The Internet...our lives, it influences..." since they are two independent clauses.

    This is what I found...as regards Serena feedback, I agree with her, except for the use of carry/bring. I think that they both can work here.

    Ok, that's all.

    Bye bye from an old-fashioned like you!
    Giorgia

    RispondiElimina